Renovating or Remodeling your kitchen can be an exciting but daunting task and if you haven’t done a renovation before, it’s hard to know where to start. Whether you’re looking to update your kitchen’s look, increase functionality, or improve the overall value of your home, there are several key factors to consider before diving into a renovation project. Here are some tips to help you get started!
Why Renovate My Kitchen?
Before embarking on any renovation project, it’s important to assess your needs and goals. Ask yourself, what do you want to achieve with your kitchen renovation? Are you looking to increase storage space, improve your cooking experience, create a more open space for hosting, or simply update the look of your kitchen? Consider your family’s lifestyle and how your kitchen functions in your daily routine. Understanding your needs and goals will help guide your renovation plans and budget.
Set a Budget and Research Design Ideas & Inspiration
Renovating a kitchen can be a costly undertaking and like any home project, it’s important to set a budget so you avoid overspending while being able to prioritize your renovation goals. Once you have a clear understanding of your needs, goals, and budget, it’s time to research design ideas. Look online and in magazines for inspiration and maybe even create a vision board of your favorite kitchen styles, colors, and materials. Houzz and Pinterest are two great resources for inspiration and idea collection!
There are a million options to choose from when it comes to design inspiration and it can quickly become overwhelming. We’d love to help you with your process! Our in-house designers are in touch with the latest styles and leading technology, and they expertly bring together the art and science needed to make a dream kitchen come true. We welcome you to stop by our newly renovated showroom to look at our thousands of options for flooring, cabinetry, countertops, bath displays and fixtures!
Quality, Quality, Quality Materials
Choosing quality materials is essential for a successful kitchen renovation. We encourage our clients to prioritize their budget to help maximize durable, high-quality materials that will stand up to daily wear and tear, such as solid wood cabinets and countertops made of quartz. Using the right materials will enhance the durability and longevity of your kitchen’s life.
When it comes to cabinetry options for your renovation, there are several types to consider.
- Stock cabinets are pre-made and come in standard sizes and finishes. They are the most affordable option, but often what you gain on price you trade off on with durability and quality.
- Semi-custom cabinets are also often pre-made but offer more flexibility in terms of size, style, material quality, and finish options. They are a good middle-ground option in terms of price and customization.
- Custom cabinets will be at the highest price point, but they are fully made to order and offer the greatest all-round flexibility.
When choosing countertops, there are also several options to consider.
- Quartz is our favorite material to work with for countertops and what most of our customers choose for their homes. It is a low-maintenance option that is non-porous, making it resistant to stains and bacteria and comes in a wide variety of colors and patterns.
- Granite is a popular choice for its durability and natural beauty. It is heat-resistant, scratch-resistant, and comes in a variety of colors and patterns.
- Marble is a high-end option that is known for its unique veining and natural beauty, but it is not as durable as granite or quartz and requires regular maintenance to prevent staining and scratching.
- Solid surface countertops, such as Corian, are a versatile option that can be molded into any shape or size. They are also non-porous and easy to maintain and are typically more budget friendly than Quartz, Granite, and Marble.
We hope that this helps shed a little light on the key aspects of a remodeling process. The DR Design team is here to help as you explore creating the kitchen of your dreams, so give us a call, stop by our showroom or schedule an appointment with one of our friendly, knowledgeable designers whenever you’re ready to get started!